Farm

On our farm we have a very firm belief in showing what we breed. In order to do that we have made the needed investment in cages, breeding stock, incubators, and feed to give us the biggest head start possible. Spring of 2011 has been a very challenging year to get things started again. Breeders across the country are struggling to get anything hatched. We are having fair luck in doing so after a brutally cold winter and spring. Below, enjoy some pictures of our farm.


This is our front yard. We have an abundance of maple trees on the property. In the coming years I fully intend to tap them to make syrup.

 

 

 

One of the flower beds in the back yard in mid spring of 2011. These were in rough shape when we moved in but are coming along nicely. We added additional plants that provide new flowers constantly from early spring through early fall. In the background you can see the young orchard that we planted last fall as well.

A second flower bed in the back yard much like the first with slightly different plant selections. These were put in place to hide the access and vents of the septic system.

 

 

 

A flowering crab apple tree that we planted in the spring of 2011. The variety was selected carefully. Since it does fruit the pollen from this tree can pollinate our cortland and honeycrisp apple trees. Crab apples are used for this purpose because they set long lived flowers and tons of them providing lots of pollen in the air.

 

 

 

Another view of the backyard beds a bit later in the spring of 2011.

 

 

 

 

Large flower garden in the side yard. These beds contain a mixture of flowers and shrubs selected to have constant blooms all year. Some of the favorites are the dwarf lilac, white and purple columbine, and purple barberry.

 

 

 

 

Our new garden tractor. I guess we are officially a Cub Cadet family. After growing up with only Kubota equipment I somehow now own a Cub garden tractor, push mower, trimmer, and chain saw.

 

 

 

Alyssa watering the flower beds after a new load of mulch was brought in.

 

 

 

 

 

Alyssa and Makayla, the littlest farmers!

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of our incubators. This is a 6 tray Leahy machine that is built from redwood inside and out. These machines are great for waterfowl breeders. I have heavily modified it with a new fan, thermostat, and heat element. I also moved all the wiring connections and cord outside the machine. This modernization made the machine much more reliable and safe for use rather than continuing with the old cloth covered wire. I also have a late model Humidaire D Hatcher complete with automatic humidity and the desired Zytron thermostat. My total incubating capacity right now is around 1600 eggs at any given time. I always have my eyes open for machines like these as well as petersime and even newer ratite machines to convert. Contact me if you have something for sale.

The bottom frame of one of the new duck pens that were built in 2010. Pictures of the pens I built in 2012 are in the photo album.

 

 

 

 

Additional framing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Underside of the roof.

 

 

 

 

 

Completed frame. I added a Keipper Cooping display cage on the top of this. I don’t recommend this if you have predator problems. I love doing it this way but some day I will probably pay for it.

 

 

 

The first 12 pens completed and set in place.

 

 

 

 

 

Pair of butterscotch calls.

 

 

 

 

Some of our white call duck breeders.

 

 

 

 

First snow of the winter.

 

 

 

 

 

It was as cold as it looks.

 

 

 

 

One week worth of eggs in 2011. Far from what you would typically expect but good for this spring with the weather we have had.

 

 

 

 

The girls with some of our fruit trees just prior to planting.

Comments are closed.